Monday, January 13, 2014

Simple Marker Thank You Card

Do you ever have trouble getting the creative juices flowing?  I definitely do, especially when I'm really busy.  One of the best cures for this (for me, at least) is to look through my catalogs and find cards or projects that jump out at me.  From there, I put my own spin on it (although there's nothing wrong with copying it exactly).  And that's just what I did with this card!  Check out page 5 of the Sale-a-Bration brochure to see what I'm talking about.  (What?  You don't have one?  Just shoot me an email and I'll get one to you right away!)

Tips & Tricks

  • Did you know there's a name for copying a card?  It's CASE:  copy and share everything (or, with everyone).  It's perfectly acceptable to copy a card or project you see, as long as you give credit to the original creator.  And I personally don't think it's OK to profit from another person's design, but that's more of a gray issue for most.  
  • I used five colors, just like the sample card, but I made my stripes much thicker and closer together.  You'll see that I also chose different colors, but that's mostly because I don't have the 2013-2014 In Color Markers! Otherwise, I probably would have used them!
  • As always, you're not striving for perfection.  As a recovering perfectionist, this was a tough thing for me when I first started stamping.  I wanted everything to line up perfectly.  But one of the charms of hand made cards is that they are hand made.  They aren't made by a machine, and they aren't supposed to be perfect.  I kind of like a few (small) imperfections on my cards because it also shows that anyone can make a beautiful card, and that even I, with almost two decades of experience, am far from perfect.  You don't have to look closely to see that my marker lines are anything but perfect.  But I think that just adds to the fun look of this card!
Supplies

Stamps:  Yippee-Skippee
Ink:  Calypso Coral, Tangerine Tango, Pumpkin Pie, Daffodil Delight, and So Saffron Stampin' Write Markers, Calypso Coral Classic Ink Pad
Paper:  Whisper White and Calypso Coral card stock
Accessories:  Big Shot, Deco Labels Framelits, Whisper White Baker's Twine, Rhinestones Basic Jewels, Stampin' Dimensionals

Go take a look through whatever catalogs you have, and find something to CASE today!  And if you need a current Annual, Occasions, or Sale-a-Bration Catalog, just let me know.  I'm happy to give you whatever catalog you need!

No comments:

Post a Comment